Here we are again at the dawn of a new era. Suzumebachi has been hard at work getting everything rolling. The "patch notes" may seem rather sparse, but they involved a lot of work. We all know what that is (probably), too!
What does that mean for us?
A few things, namely that all ki abilities now have a cast time and a cooldown. This isn't MMORPG-level cooldown, but something to make the "bigger" skills a little more rewarding to use.
- While casting you will be unable to move about.
- You can cancel your skills mid-cast.
- Your cast can be interrupted.
How else does this effect us?
The formulas involved are altered slightly to depend more on the time-to-cast and, more importantly, how much charged ki you use. As an example, even though you will cast less Kamehameha Waves in the same time, you will do approximately the same amount of damage (in terms of raw numbers). Obviously this might come to be viewed as a very large buff for Ki skills in terms of raw damage output (dealing too much in one hit), but we will be taking measures against this. As with every other era I've presided over the changes, please keep an eye on this and inform us if anything seems out of the ordinary. While we try to accommodate for all possibilities, we are only human.
What might the side effects be?
You might notice us slightly altering how the other disciplines are handled to accommodate these changes (H2H and Weaponry); you might notice us change a damage formula here or there involving the ki skills. A lot of the skills will play a lot differently, in terms of speed. You might notice some beam struggles every now and again. You might notice that the cast time might differ from time to time (sometimes feeling lucky is important!).
WAIT A FUCKIN' MIN--
That's right ya sheepy cunts, mother fucking BEAM STRUGGLES. They'll basically operate in a mini-game fashion, with pushing and pulling. Injecting more ki into your attack will increase the cost of your ability, and will increase the damage slightly (but not by a huge number, mind; they're still putting their own effort into the struggle). Of course by using more ki you also increase the cooldown =]
A lot of the ki stuff can be better clarified by Suzumebachi.
Miscellaneous Code Changes
- Re-stringing will be made available to zenni as a means of payment.
- Transformations will (once again) require RPP for the first transformation.
- Namek racial changed to -40% stamina regen, up from -50%
- Saiyan racial changed to +40% experience gained, down from +50%
- Mutant racial changed to -20% regen, up from -25%
- Kai racials changed to +15% damage received, up from +20%; TNL changed to +10%, up from +15%
- Half-breed racial changed to +35% experience gained, down from +40%
- Hoshijin racial changed to -40% chance to train weapon/physical skills, up from -50%
- Extra Feature reduced to 1RPP
Rules, Administrative and Miscellaneous Changes
- We will be much more lax with the IC/OOC separation for a variety of reasons, namely because we feel it impacts the new player experience too much. More to come on that at a later date, where I'll lay out some qualifying scenarios and such. This is not to say that it is completely gone, and I implore you to err on the side of caution. I should have it finalised before opening.
- Custom Houses and Ships will make a return, however they will be strictly RPP-related, and will incur a "renters fee" at era switch. It is not likely to be very high for the renting fee, and I will speak with my fellow immortals to work on some costs for these, as well as downsizing the "variables" in purchasing them (e.g. you won't have to differentiate between small/medium/large for different costs, you wont have to pay 500 zenni for a chair). We will retain the prior 15-room limit, however you may use as little as you wish for your home.
- This of course means the housing capsules will have their costs tweaked (and also are still useful because garden, hint hint).
- Gmork is no longer with us.
Future Roadmap, Possible Plans, etc
Where do I begin? I've been, I believe, very vocal in the direction I'd like to see DBAT take. Code stuff? I'd like to get a lot of work put into the creation of a Truffle-exclusive sensei, which would involve the creation of a lot of new skills with fancy status effects. This would be our first foray into creating skills for the game so I think it's kind of a big deal. In the process I'd like to re-visit how our current status-affecting abilities play out (paralysis, solar flare etc). I opted for Truffle for a number of reasons, namely being their RP potential. It's no secret I'm a very big fan of the race RPly, but that's because I feel they have so much exploitative potential and creative directions.
I'd like to see a lot of QoL stuff incorporated, both building-wise and code-wise. The ability to hide your tail for Saiyans, for disguise to work in a meaningful manner (and mimic too; you aren't forgotten lovely Hoshi's); to not drown leaving Roshi's island, or because you went too far in your direction spam.
I'd also like to re-visit things like preference, genomes, some racials.. It's no secret I dislike the finality of preferences, and especially with the advent of our Ki rework, I think we should probably take another look at them. Genomes and mutations are for the most part okay, but yknow. Racials I'd like to get into the nitty gritty with, especially because I'd like to address things like Demons; I'd like to see them gain a transformation: Demon Form of some sort. Essentially along the lines of "Demon form" and "Mortal form". This allows them a little lee-way in terms of walking into a room and not having someone go "hey demon guy". There would be some other facets involved, but yknow. Maybe also it's high-time we do away with "A male Bio-Android walks into the room." as well?
I'd like to bring our currently-built areas up to a more respectable design in-line with making everything more immersive. We haven't had a new zone released in a while, though.. that may change soon, if you na'mean. It's for a number of reasons, but first and foremost is because I fully believe DBAT should be more about the experience, and not gaining experience. While the latter is necessary, I want it to feel like an aspect of play, not the primary means of play.
Our suggestions board is loaded with ideas, and honestly a lot of them are really good. I assure you that every single one of them passes before my eyes, that's a promise I will gladly make and keep. They take time to implement, figure out how to work out, etc. We are a small staff with a very big plate, and a lot of personal constraints. We haven't lost interest, we haven't abandoned you, we are still here in some fashion. Like most of you, we all have things that require our attention elsewhere; sometimes it is more than we'd like. I would love nothing more than to be a programming prodigy and just slam out changes, and forego all commitments to just build, grade, code, everything for this place. My love for it is irrational. We are all adults with responsibilities.
All major announcements, notices and whatever else are all posted on the forums. That being said, I would love to extend my hand to invite you to join us on Discord if you haven't. I'm usually very active there because it is easy to open my phone and check in there. It is not easy to do things MUD-side when I'm not at home.
Despite this nonsensical rant, I hope you guys enjoy the hard work Suzumebachi has put into this era, it was a truly monumental task. I hope we can put out more like it in reasonable timeframes for you, and not all of them will require era restarts.
Any changes made after this is posted will be added in to a reply, except for further clarification or explanations, which will be added in with a note.